Monday, September 16, 2013

Not Knowing What I Done Did Was Wrong

A short essay:

Below, you're looking up a fragment of Main Street from the intersection of Main and Mill St. on a peaceful Sunday afternoon. Here, too many years ago, during my more reckless days, in the City of Milford Mayor's Court, after I pointed out, with some respectful argument, two important errors made, by the officer, on my traffic ticket, the mayor finally interrupted my carefully planned diatribe for eluding justice and said (the following is paraphrased just slightly) "Look back there at this room full of people!" (That sentence should break some kind of punctuation records!) Following his directions, I turned and looked. Your Honor pointed and panned his gavel outwards towards a large, humid room full of sweaty, nervous-looking, traffic-violating, cash cow criminals-to-be awaiting their turn at the hot seat. Focusing his attention back to me, as the officer sat at his side, scowling at me for catching his procedural inadequacies, Your Honor had made his decision and exclaimed "We don't want to be here all night. What you pointed out may be true - but you know what you did was wrong." BANG goes the gavel! "Guilty" Your Honor vociferated. Ahhh, it's as if I've eaten from the tree of knowledge of good and evil - I'm guilty because of knowing in Milford Mayor's court. The mayor's a mind reader also! He knows that I know, That's just the kind of judge we need more of these days. Wow. ... Seems to me that Milford's Mayor's Court building was just up the street a bit, on the right side of the photo. Well, I still have a lot of love for Milford. And I still remember that I knew what I did was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment