Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Flag Spring Cemetery

Here, I offer a glimpse of Flag Spring Cemetery, 3541 Round Bottom Rd, Newtown, Ohio. This aint no ordinary cemetery. The major reason is that it has, what is often called, an "indian mound" in the center of it. There was another so-called indian mound nearby but that one was removed for a - cough, cough - golf course! Go figure. Maybe the developers just needed a little teenie bit bit more room for the clubhouse? Admittedly, I'm speaking in ignorance of the real justification and rambling on with a degree of sarcasm. No doubt there was a profound justification behind eliminating the burial mound. Also, there was another mound, when I was a youngster, a few miles away. It's gone now and whatever was in it is in a museum somewhere so's we can study the stuff. Let's leave it at - one can still see where it used to be. Anyway, back to this burial-ground image - here, we're looking approximately eastward, towards the main entrance.

Hahaha (This I prefer to LOL because, not only am I not a man of few words, I also am not a man of few letters. Also, as you may now notice, I thrive on irrelevant (but insightful) parenthetical toss-ins.) What now, you must be thinking? Well, my spell checker says "aint" is misspelled. What a hoot. Aint must, therefore, be somewhat legitimate. Pardon me, I should've typed ain't! My deceased high-school-English teacher must be shuddering in her grave. Although she didn't, I and, perhaps, the writers for "The Beverly Hillbillies" always thought aint was as legitimate a word as any other word. Consider "preponderance". Preponderance was probably invented by a lawyer who, later, became an award-winning writer of bills or regulations in some administrative component of government. I am, however, still confused why ain't needs an apostrophe because it (meaning ain't) aint really a contraction of anything. Although the spell checker thinks I should be typing "aunt" and doesn't suggest "ain't" as a correct spelling, the proof of legitimacy is in that the spell checker does not recognize "ain't" as being misspelled. I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment